outstanding researchers of any discipline
Scholars/Scientists should be guaranteed the greatest possible freedom and flexibility in the performance of their research.
The Wittgenstein Award provides both recognition and support to excellent scholars/scientists (up to 60 years of age) who have already produced exceptional scientific work and who occupy a prominent place in the international scientific community. Awardees should be guaranteed the maximum possible level of freedom and flexibility in the performance of their research, thereby facilitating an increase in their scientific productivity.
The award is associated with financial support up to a maximum of 1.5 million € to be spent over a period of five years. It is intended to enhance and extend the research possibilities of the awardee and his or her group. The Wittgenstein Award is targeted at scientists of any discipline. There are no quotas regulating the distribution of awards between subject areas.
The Wittgenstein Award is the most generously supported research programme in Austria. As such, it attracts considerable media attention and thus contributes significantly to the understanding and acceptance of scholarly/scientific research by society.
- international recognition in the field
- permanent employment in an Austrian research organization
- aged 60 or under and center of life in Austria for at least one year at the time of nomination (=deadline for nominations)
up to 1.5 Mio. € per award
- may only come from people entitled to make such proposals (Rector of Austrian universities, Vice Rector for Research of Austrian universities, President of the OeAW, President of IST-Austria and all previous Wittgenstein Awardees)
- self-nominations are not permitted
- start of call: July 1st 2020
- deadline for nominations: September 18th 2020
- documents for a nomination may only be requested by persons eligible to make a nomination, please contact Mario Mandl
- decisions taken by the International START-/Wittgenstein-Jury based on an international review process in June 2021
- awarded by the Federal Minister for Science
1 award per year