Funding of project costs in developing countries

FWF supports scientific co-operation with scientists from developing countries and aims at providing transparent conditions for facilitating the financing of costs of co-operation partners in these countries participating in FWF funded research projects.

In the framework of this measure costs for co-operation partners in developing countries can be applied for in all FWF funding schemes that offer suitable eligible cost categories (e.g. Stand-alone projects, START, Richter). In funding programs that do provide lump sums (instead of a sum consisting of several budget items), costs for the cooperation with developing countries can be covered from the lump sum. FWF should be notified of this in advance.

Costs can only be applied for countries classified as "Least Developed Countries", "Other Low Income Countries" or "Lower Middle Income Countries and Territories" (except India and China) by OECD's current DAC list. In the FWF application form for international co-operation this has to be indicated by ticking the box "cooperation partner to be financed by the FWF".

Project applications which include costs for co-operation partners in developing countries are evaluated according to the standard criteria that apply for the respective funding program. The participation of co-operation partners must be scientifically relevant to the project. Due to legal provisions, FWF cannot finance costs that aim at providing development aid or infrastructure in the partner country.

All costs that are applied for co-operations with developing countries must be stated separately in the application and included in the category "other costs". The possibility of a financial transfer to the developing country has to be clarified with the research institution in advance. It is possible to apply for personnel costs in developing countries. For these costs, however, local salary levels should be applied for instead of FWF standard rates. Please note that personnel costs for employment contracts must be administered by a research institution in the partner country.

Research co-operations with partners from countries that do not fall in the above mentioned categories can be included in accordance with the application guidelines for the respective funding program.